Make your own free website on
A Brief Family History
Adique's Family Tree
| Home | A Brief Family History | Favorite Family Photos | Family Members List Page | For Your Info... | Contact Me

How we all got here...



This history as seen, remembered, and narrated by Horencio, the eleventh child. As a narrator, I will be using “me and I” in this narrative.


The family ADIQUE was originated by Pedro Lombes Adique and Roberta Lozana and was residents of Sagpon, Albay. Thirteen children were born, five girls and eight boys:  AMADA, ROSALINA, ILUMINADO, FERMIN, ENRIQUE, MOISES, CONCEPCION, PEDRO JR., JULIANA, SILVINO, HORENCIO, URSINO and VENERANDA.


In 1937, Papa was assigned as manager of the then Alatco (a transportation company at Bicol Region, now Philtranco) at Batobalane, Camarines Norte. Papa and mama brought with them the three youngest children, namely; Ursino, Veneranda, and I, and we grew up there. Fermin came with us. All the other children were left at Sagpon and spent their elementary and high school days there.


Many of them were in the honor roll most of the time. Pedro, Jr. and Juliana were exceptionally talented and very smart at school that they graduated at the top of their respective classes as valedictorian in both the elementary and high schools. Pedro, Jr. was even cited by a teacher as a very bright and smart student because he got a perfect score in all of the tests given by her especially in mathematics. I learned about this when I met this teacher at U. S. A.


In 1939, Amada married Buenaventura R. Buen. Both of them were teachers at Batobalane, Camarines Norte. On January 6, 1941, Melchor was born.


On December 7, 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. A week later, they invaded the Philippines. Iluminado and Fermin were called up for active duty by the government to defend their country.


Papa, mama, and the three youngest children evacuated at Mayon, Daraga, Albay. Moises, Concepcion, Pedro, Jr., Juliana and Silvino joined and stayed with us for about three months. We moved to Bongalon, Daraga, Albay. It was at this place where mama passed away, but before she died, she requested and let Amada promised to take care of the three youngest children until they grew up.


Amada left for Malilipot, Albay with Ursino and Veneranda.


One day, Iluminado came home from war very thin, pale and sick of malaria. Then he married Socorro Manila. They have four children, namely; Rogelio, Fermin, Hedy, and Esther.


Fermin did not make it. He died as a war hero. .


Rosalina married Jaime Templonuevo. They went to Baras, Catanduanes where they raised their own family. They have six children, namely; Melba, Lilia, Sonia (deceased), Jaime (deceased), Edwin, and Myrna.


Moises and Juliana went to Manila and stayed there with Manong Pedro de Vera.


By the way, Enrique being adopted by Papa’s older sister, May Pila and married to Tata Johnny Lalisan went to Liguan, an island opposite Legaspi City and settled there.


Papa, Pedro, Jr., Concepcion, Silvino and I moved to Canarom, Sorsogon, and a place about twenty kilometers away from the nearest national road. We hiked the whole day until we arrived at the piece of land owned by Papa. Here we learned how to become farmers. We planted upland rice, sweet potato, cassava, and other root crops and vegetables for our daily food because no store was available where to buy food, besides Papa has no money at that time. The only means of exchanging food was bartering.


One day Papa, Pedro, Jr. and I hiked from Canarom to Malilipot, Albay. They left me there. The three youngest children were once again together.


Sometime in 1943, Ursino and I went to Baras, Catanduanes. We stayed with Rosalina and Jaime Templonuevo who were willing to let us stay there during the Japanese time. There, Ursino and I took care of Melba and Lilia as “yaya“.


Concepcion arrived later. There she met Benjamin Tariman.


Ursino and I went back to Malilipot. Here, we learned how to make many things from abaca, like handbags, hats, slippers, etc. On Sundays, Ursino and I went to the nearby mountain to gather firewood. These were our daily routine until I graduated from the elementary school.


In 1948, I went to Sagpon, Albay and stayed with Iluminado and Socorro as a first year high school student. At the end of the school year, I moved to Manila. Concepcion, Moises, Pedro, Jr., Juliana, Silvino, and Ursino were all there waiting for my arrival at 1230 San Andres, Malate, Manila. Veneranda was with Amada at 1175 Dart, Paco, Manila.


Then Enrique joined us at Malate. He was employed with IBM. While there, he enrolled at Mapua Institute of Technology. At the end of the school year, he moved to Guam where he was employed with the US army. When he finished his term, he came back to Manila and went to Castilla, Sorsogon with May Pila and Tata Johnny. He met Servillana Marz and married her. Then they went to Manila where Ernesto, Rosa and Erlinda were born.


One day at dinnertime, Juliana mentioned to all of us that she was lucky to be with us. This was her story:


“In l945, when the Americans landed at Manila, Singalong was still under the Japanese regime. Just before the Americans went to Singalong, the people at San Andres and Singalong were ordered by the Japanese soldiers to get inside the church of Singalong and stayed there. Everybody was inside the church. The Japanese placed machine guns in front of the main door. Anybody who runs outside was shot by machine guns. This happened at least three times. Then someone inside the church told the people that if they go out one by one, for sure they would be dead, so it was agreed upon that the people rushed outside at the same time and lucky enough some were not hit and they lived. Juliana was one of those who rushed outside.”


After the war, Moises and Juliana were the ones who have jobs. They joined hands in providing us food, shelter, education, and clothing. The rest pursued their education.


Pedro, Jr. and Moises agreed between themselves that he would defray all expenses of Pedro, Jr. until he finished his course. He took up chemical engineering course, graduated and immediately took the next available board exams and passed it second place. Then he met Consejo Santamena and married her. After their wedding, he was employed by Philippine Packing Corporation. He was assigned at Cagayan de Oro and migrated there. It was at this place where Pio, Myrna, Lorna, Rene (deceased), Norma (deceased), Edgar, Edwin, Raul, and Alan were born.


It was time for Pedro, Jr. to send Moises to college to continue his education. He declined this because he married Gloria Suarez. Then they migrated to Calolbon, now San Andres, Catanduanes.


At Baras, Catanduanes, Jaime owned and operated a bus transportation company called Tembusco. Moises was employed here as a bus driver. One of the buses he was driving fell at a ravine and the bus became a total wreck. He was lucky he survived. After this, he and Gloria went to Manila and raised their family there. They have eight children, namely; Nieva, Pedro, Jr., Sonia, Moises, Agnes, Joel, and Amada.


Benjamin Tariman went to Malate and married Concepcion. They went to Baras, Catanduanes where they built their house at Wilson, a barrio of Baras. Both of them were teachers at Putsan elementary school, a place opposite their residence, about one hour by boat rowing. Then Delia and Danilo were born.


Juliana got married to Blas Vega, our neighbor at Malate. Juliana was employed at Camp Murphy, now Camp Aguinaldo as a secretary to the Adjutant General. Antonio was born and after several days he passed away. Juliana and Chenggoy as we normally called him adopted Bunny. Chenggoy passed away very soon that he did not see Bunny finish his elementary education. So it was Juliana who let Bunny finish his studies. Then one day, Manay (meaning oldest sister in Tagalog) noticed that Juliana’s stomach was abnormally big and getting bigger. So she was confronted by Manay and true enough, she was pregnant. So Juliana went on leave and went to Cebu where she delivered a baby boy she named Roberto Adique. At the hospital, Juliana registered her name as Socorro and her husband as Iluminado. So on paper, Roberto is the son of Socorro and Iluminado but the real mother  was Juliana.


Silvino was still single when he finished his high school. He enrolled as a first year college student at Mapua Institute of Technology. He took mechanical engineering course. At the end of the school year he dropped out because of lack of money for tuition and other expenses. At daytime, he carried his toolbox and roamed around Manila to fix cars that were stranded on the streets. This was his routine job until he became a family driver at San Juan, Rizal. Then he met Cresencia Vergara and married her. They have two children, namely Allen and Eileen.


To defray my school expenses including tuition fees, during Christmas vacation, I peddled cigarettes and Chiclets at Plaza Lawton, in front of the main Post office when the jeeps were stopped at intersections. When the jeeps were signaled by the policeman to go, I moved again to the intersection and walked towards the stopped jeeps. This was the routine job that I did until the end of the Christmas vacation. During the summer vacation, I peddled cigarettes again until the opening of the classes. The money that I earned during my peddling business was used to pay in full my tuition fees when classes opened. I put the remaining money in a bank and withdrew it during the year in small amounts, enough for a week’s transportation expenses. I did this during my third year high school and until I graduated from high school at Mapua Institute of Technology.


After my graduation, I was desperate because I wanted to finish my college but there was no money for my school expenses. So Manay promised to let me go to college only for one year, on the condition that I have to sell abaca products at Manila in return. Manay suggested to me to take up commerce because after finishing first year, I could be employed as a bookkeeper. When the school year was about to be finished, I read in a newspaper that a scholarship in Australia was offered to all high school graduates. I have to pass an examination given by the Bureau of Civil Service (BCS) next day. Only the person who obtained the highest grade would be given the scholarship. Manay discouraged me to take this examination because she knew that obtaining the highest grade was next to impossible. I ignored this.  At that time I went to the BCS and filed an application. Since the time was very limited, the personnel at BCS let me promised to bring all the paper requirements after the examination. I took the examination and luckily, only twelve including myself passed the examination out of more than three thousand candidates. All the twelve were awarded a second grade civil service eligibility. The first place was awarded the scholarship and the second place became an alternate.


This was the start of my career. I applied for a job in many government offices. Luckily, I was accepted at the main Post Office at Plaza Lawton as a mail dispatcher and later on, as a money order clerk. Then I started my second year in commerce at University of the East (UE). In the morning I worked while at night I went to school. I did this until I graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Business Administration major in accounting.


Four months before my graduation in April 1957, I was allowed by UE to take the CPA review classes. The CPA examination was given in October 1957. In July 1958 the result was published in daily newspapers and my name appeared there as having passed the examination.

This news spread like wild fire. The friends of Pedro, Jr. who was employed at Philippine Packing Corporation at Bugo, Cagayan de Oro City asked Pedro, Jr. who is Horencio to him. He told them that he is his younger brother. Then they asked Pedro, Jr. to give a “blow out” because his brother passed the CPA examination. They enjoyed the small party.


After the CPA result was out, SyCip, Gorres, Velayo & Co. (SGV) hired me as a junior auditor. While employed here, I married Dolores A. de Leon, Five children were born, namely; Rolando, Alfredo, Raymund, Horencio, Jr., and, Rodolfo. After almost ten years with SGV, Shell Philippines, Inc. they employed me as a team leader of their auditing department. Here, I traveled around the Philippines. It gave me a chance to visit my brothers and sisters who lived in the provinces.


Ursino after high school graduation at Mapua Institute of Technology did not want to pursue his college anymore because of lack of money to support his studies. So he accepted a job at Nestle and became a traveling salesman. He was assigned a truck to deliver all Nestle products at the Bicol Region. There he met Carmelita Ramos and married her.   Later Ursino resigned from Nestle. Then they moved to Los Baņos, Laguna where they raised seven children, namely; Emmanuel, Rolando, Ursino, Jr., Mary Anne, Maria Lourdes, Maria Josefina and Orlando.  Ursino raised Texas fighting cocks and sold them. He also planted some fruit trees and vegetables.  About three years after his first wife died, he met and married his second wife, Conchita Ilustre.  They have one son, Neil Christian.


Veneranda finished her high school at Araullo High School. Then she enrolled and finished her Bachelor of Science in Education course at Normal College. Then she married Emilio Isles and moved to Legaspi City. Here they raised their children. They have five children, namely; Evelyn, Teresa Susan, Emilio, Jr., Rene Emilio, and, Eric. They opened a store selling poultry feeds and all products related to chickens. Their income from the store was not enough to pay their creditors so they applied for bankruptcy and got it. They bought a lot at Bigaa, Legaspi City and moved there. She became a teacher and later on became a principal at Bigaa until her retirement.


On December 30, 1972, my family migrated to United States of America. In short, we all became a citizen of the United States. I was employed here as an auditor by the State of Illinois until my retirement in 1991.


In 1986, Dolores and I were granted a divorce. In 1987, I married my second wife Irene Cea. Again we were divorced and I remarried for the third time, this time to Socorro R. Rebanal. We established our permanent residence at 3379 Deerfield Pointe Drive, Orange Park, Florida, 32073-1917, U. S. A.


As of September 2011, Veneranda and I are the only ones living of the second generation of Adiques. We are 75 and 80 years old, respectively, and are enjoying our retirement.


This is the end of the history of the second generation of the Adiques. The next generation will do their part by adding or deducting from the family tree their share to this history.





Narrated by                :  Horencio L. Adique

Minor revision by        :  Myrna Adique-Mailom

                                     September 15, 2011




Sagpon, Legazpi City, Albay, Philipines
Sagpon, Legazpi City, Albay, Philipines
I have include a map of our family's place of origin. Click to view bigger size.

List by Families

click here to download file - ADIQUE Clan Listing

(in birth right order...pls. click the link)

Fermin (Fred, deceased after WW II)

I have include a map of our family's place of origin.